Acting on the awareness that a senior is in need of memory care can avert crisis and emergency. Creating an atmosphere of love and concern for everyone involved is an important foundation. Sometimes the loved ones in need are involved in the process. Often, it is a conversation among the concerned family members.
At Sun and Sea Manor, we serve the Imperial Beach, South Bay, Chula Vista, & South San Diego area. We are committed to the health & flourishing of all our residents with a loving embrace designed for whole person well-being! Read on to find out more about how to talk to loved ones about memory care.
To make the discussion easier, here are a few tips from the experts:
- Plan ahead. Choose a time and space without distractions.
- Listen to the concerns of each person with empathy, and repeat them aloud, so each person knows that he or she has been heard.
- Involve key family member(s) and decision maker(s) in the process.
- In the conversation with the senior, include the family member(s) to whom the senior is most receptive to avoid overwhelm.
- Whenever possible, include trusted and respected professionals, such as physicians, clergy, home health care workers, and estate planners in the process.
- Become a knowledgeable resource with current and positive information to offer.
- If defensiveness or negativity overshadow, table it for another time. Regroup or get professional input.
- Keep the atmosphere calm and loving, empowering everyone to make the best choice for the loved one.
We can help with the conversation. This is brand new territory for most people! Skillful and professional consultation can help with navigation and ease the fears that are bound to arise. A visit can dispel the negative notions very quickly. Many visitors find themselves in a renewal of optimism when they discover the cheerful environment of daily companionship, socialization, delicious meals, and safety for their beloved. Concerns yield to confidence and assurance in the presence of full time, professionally trained, and loving 24/7 Care Staff.
In twenty years of working with care facilities and senior living, I’ve never seen a more committed, truly caring group of people than your staff.
–L.M., granddaughter & Local Police Officer